Some exciting news has surfaced for fans of rock musicals in the North West: “Cult classic The Rocky Horror Show on in Blackpool”! The show will run at the Winter Gardens from 26th September to 1st October 2016. For those who don´t know it, the Rocky Horror Show is quite simply the Daddy of rock musicals! Richard O´Brien´s masterpiece premièred in 1973. Since then it has been running more or less continuously in different productions in London, Broadway, and has spawned a successful film version. This show is not for the faint at heart. I won´t spoil the story but suffice to say it features a mad transvestite scientist introducing “Rocky Horror”, his Frankenstein style artificial creation, to the world. It is packed with unforgettable glam rock inspired songs including the perennial favourite “Time Warp” (which you have probably heard before, even if you think you don’t know it). This version is directed by Christopher Luscombe and was given a five star rating by the Telegraph who described it as “fresh, subversive, essential”. I will be booking quickly to avoid disappointment and advise you to do the same. See you in Blackpool in the Autumn!Read More
Technologies have changed and home movie viewing has increased. But the experience that you get in movie theaters cannot be matched. The coming of multiplexes and the digital prints are all good for movie theaters. Even though technology like LED TV means home movie viewing experiences have been enhanced, a movie in a theater is an enriching experience. More so for movies like Star Wars, where small screens are not a good option. Here are the top 5 reasons to watch movies in theatres.
(1) The Big Screen – You can never get such big screens even if you have a private screen at home. The experience of a big screen is awesome. I realised this when I watched the same movie at home and then at the theatre.
(2) No disturbances – When watching at home, you have distractions that you cannot avoid, like the telephone and the doorbell. At movie theatres, mobiles are switched off and there is no worry of visitors. All the attention is on enjoying the movie.
(3) The audience – You do not directly interact with other people in movie theatres. But the audience adds to the experience of watching movies, doesn’t it?
(4) 3D movies – More and more movies are being released in the 3D format. A movie theatre is the best place to watch a 3D movie.
(5) Trailers of upcoming movies – You can catch up with which movies are coming up at the theatre. I really love watching the trailers at theatres for its curiosity value.Read More
Les Miserables has really been the show of last year. It has been playing across 44 countries and 22 different languages around the world. It is still going strong in London 4 months after its release, no other theater show has been able to match its popularity.
It is a story set in the backdrop of 19th century in France. The best part is the story which has many emotional strings. It has love,passion, sacrifice and broken dreams.
There was a movie of the same name released in 2012, starring Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and Anne Hathaway. It was also good but nowhere near to the theatrical version. I watched the second Act accidently when my friend invited me over after Christmas. The three hour drama was not only a visual spectacle but enthralling. It was an experience which made me go to watch it again and again. You would not believe if I told you that I have watched it 15 times since then, and once back to back three shows. You have to experience it to know why it is so popular.Read More