AMC Entertainment is now buying Europe’s biggest theatre chain. AMC to buy European theater chain operator Odeon & UCI Cinemas Group, with the deal being valued in the region of £921 million. They will then be the biggest theatre chain in the World. By acquiring Europe’s largest theatre chain, it means they’ll have 242 locations across Europe. This acquisition will make AMC the world’s largest theatre chain with 627 theatres in eight countries of which theatres in Oxford UK will be included, of which we have the 5 most famous theatres in Oxford UK – the Oxford Playhouse, Pegasus Theatre, University Theatre, Oxford Shakespeare Company and Creation Theatre Company. All theatres in 8 countries will have some 7,600 screens between the different auditoriums. Refurbishments will include reclining seats and exciting food offerings, providing audiences with a more luxurious experience. AMC is owned by Chinese property conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group, who bought AMC for $2.6 billion in 2012. They are also casting their eyes in the direction of Carmike Cinemas, another major investment for them.
Some exciting news has surfaced for fans of rock musicals in the North West: “Cult classic The Rocky Horror Show on in Blackpool”! The show will run at the Winter Gardens from 26th September to 1st October 2016. For those who don´t know it, the Rocky Horror Show is quite simply the Daddy of rock musicals! Richard O´Brien´s masterpiece premièred in 1973. Since then it has been running more or less continuously in different productions in London, Broadway, and has spawned a successful film version. This show is not for the faint at heart. I won´t spoil the story but suffice to say it features a mad transvestite scientist introducing “Rocky Horror”, his Frankenstein style artificial creation, to the world. It is packed with unforgettable glam rock inspired songs including the perennial favourite “Time Warp” (which you have probably heard before, even if you think you don’t know it). This version is directed by Christopher Luscombe and was given a five star rating by the Telegraph who described it as “fresh, subversive, essential”. I will be booking quickly to avoid disappointment and advise you to do the same. See you in Blackpool in the Autumn!Read More
Technologies have changed and home movie viewing has increased. But the experience that you get in movie theaters cannot be matched. The coming of multiplexes and the digital prints are all good for movie theaters. Even though technology like LED TV means home movie viewing experiences have been enhanced, a movie in a theater is an enriching experience. More so for movies like Star Wars, where small screens are not a good option. Here are the top 5 reasons to watch movies in theatres.
(1) The Big Screen – You can never get such big screens even if you have a private screen at home. The experience of a big screen is awesome. I realised this when I watched the same movie at home and then at the theatre.
(2) No disturbances – When watching at home, you have distractions that you cannot avoid, like the telephone and the doorbell. At movie theatres, mobiles are switched off and there is no worry of visitors. All the attention is on enjoying the movie.
(3) The audience – You do not directly interact with other people in movie theatres. But the audience adds to the experience of watching movies, doesn’t it?
(4) 3D movies – More and more movies are being released in the 3D format. A movie theatre is the best place to watch a 3D movie.
(5) Trailers of upcoming movies – You can catch up with which movies are coming up at the theatre. I really love watching the trailers at theatres for its curiosity value.Read More